Kiernan Jarryd Forbes, with the stage name AKA, is a name that will forever be in the heart of South Africans.
The SupaMega influenced the South African Hip Hop industry and was among the few who took it internationally. He has been in the game for as long as 2005 when he dropped Touch And Go with the teen rap group, Entity.
This man has been loyal to the genre all his life and his impact gave him some recognitions like the South African Music Award for Best Music Video of the Year, South African Music Award for Male Artist of the Year, MTV Africa Music Award for Best Collaboration, South African Music Award for Best Street Urban Music Album, and a few more.
Unfortunately for the country, AKA was gunned down 10th of February, 2023 in Durban. The country still mourns his loss as he was a son, brother, friend, husband, and father.
We represent the legend today with 10 songs that say a lot about his career.
1. AKA – Victory Lap: Victory Lap was released in 2011. This is one of the times refused to play by the rules. His unmatched confidence on the track gained him as many fans as it did with critics. Victory Lap stands among the songs that officially announced AKA.
2. AKA – Composure: 2015 started AKA vs Cassper Nyovest. The track was a diss track and remains one of the best South African Hip Hop diss tracks.
3. AKA – Jika ft. Yanga Chief: This is one of the fans’ favorite tracks. A few artists have been using the track to make a tribute remix to the lost icon.
4. AKA – Fela In Versace ft. Kiddominant: AKA teamed up with the Nigerian producer, Kiddominant and released one of the biggest songs in 2018. It was pure magic. He also doubled the round in 2018 when he also released Starsigns featuring Stogie T
5. AKA – The World Is Yours: This was released in 2017 where AKA poured out his mind in a track. The song allegedly was an eye-opener for fans.
6. AKA – All Eyes on Me ft. Burna Boy, Da L.E.S & JR: AKA introduced Burna Boy to the South African industry on this new track. The song will take its place as one of many SA-NG collaborations. He also worked with Ice Price on the N-Word Remix.
7. AKA – Sim Dope: One of the best hooks in Sim Dope was “if I die, I pray to God he brings me back to Sim Dope,”. AKA portrayed a character in the movie and still remains one of his greatest in the industry.
8. AKA – Jealousy: The song was believed to have started a new career for AKA. The release of the song led to his Levels album where he revealed loving dance music.
10. AKA & Anatii – Don’t Forget To Pray: We round up the list with this. The song was a breakfast show music at its peak.
AKA has been consistent over the years from 2005 – 2023.